Do you like jerk seasoning? I practically grew up on this stuff! I’m down for anything spicy and flavorful, so naturally all things jerk are right up my alley. My dad used to make (and still does) the best grilled jerk chicken and in my pre-vegan days I would go INNNNNN! These days, I’m opting for my new favorite meat-free version– these Easy Jerk Jackfruit Tacos are everything y’all! I’m so excited to share them with you!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
To make these easy vegan Jerk Jackfruit Tacos, you’ll need just a few simple ingredients:
- 2 20 oz. cans of Jackfruit in water or brine
- Jerk marinade
- Sweet plantains (yellow with black spots)
- Green bell pepper
- Red bell pepper
- Red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
How to Make Jerk Jackfruit Tacos:
Making these jerk jackfruit tacos is super simple! You’ll want to start by draining your canned jackfruit to remove the excess water or brine. Once it’s drained, take each chunk of jackfruit and remove the round seeded part. This is completely optional, but in my opinion it helps to give the jackfruit that “meaty” look.
Once your jackfruit is separated, grab a clean dish cloth and place the jackfruit in the center. Gather the cloth around the jackfruit and squeeze out the excess liquid into a bowl or directly into your kitchen sink. Transfer the jackfruit to a bowl and pour in your jerk marinade (this one is my favorite!). Stir the marinade into the jackfruit, making sure to coat all of the pieces.
At this point, you’re ready to spread the jackfruit over a pan lined with parchment paper and transfer it to the oven to cook for 25 minutes. The end result will be beautifully seasoned jackfruit with the perfect crispy edges!
While the jackfruit is cooking, now would be a great time to cook your plantains and sautéed peppers and onions. Let’s start with the plantains first, shall we?
Choosing the Perfect Plantains
Cooking the best plantains starts with picking the best plantains from the grocery store. For sweet plantains, you want to be sure you’re selecting the darkest yellow plantains you can find. I’m talking BLACK. Yellow with lots of black spots will work too. Can’t find any that are ripe enough? You may need to wait a few days before making this dish. Go ahead and purchase yellow plantains from the store and when you get home, place them in a paper bag and close it by folding over the top. This will help speed up the ripening process.
If when you remove your plantains from the bag, you notice a little mold, don’t fret. This just comes with the territory of perfectly sweet plantains. The plantains inside will still be good.
You can slice your plantains however you choose. I like to slice them at an angle for aesthetics and because it gives them more length as opposed to cutting them in a circular shape- meaning sweet plantains in each bite! Additionally, I think it helps them to fry more evenly.
How to Cook Plantains
I get questions about how to cook plantains aaaaalllll the time. Which has always been interesting to me because they’re so simple to make. To cook them, heat a pan of oil over medium heat. Once it’s hot, add the sliced plantains and cook them on both sides until they’re perfectly browned. Easy peasy!
Once the plantains have finished cooking, you can begin to sauté your peppers and onions in another pan by adding a little oil or water along with the veggies and cook them down until they’ve softened considerably. Be sure to season them with a little salt and pepper too!
If you’re not hungry yet, you definitely should be! It’s finally time to start building your jerk jackfruit tacos! Warm your tortillas however you’d like. I usually do mine on the stove in a pan for a few seconds or sprinkle them with water and place them in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds. Add a spoonful of the jerk jackfruit, a slice (or two) of plantains and some sautéed peppers and onions. Garnish your jerk jackfruit tacos with a little cilantro and prepare to indulge in the perfect combination of sweet and spicy!
What to Pair with Jerk Jackfruit Tacos
Looking for something to pair with these jerk jackfruit tacos? Say less!
New to Jackfruit? Be sure to check out this post: Everything You Need to Know About Jackfruit
I know you’ll love these easy Vegan Jerk Jackfruit Tacos. They’re sweet, spicy and super easy to make! They’ll be your new favorite tacos for sure! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Tools You Might Need:
Easy Jerk Jackfruit Tacos
- 2 20 oz. cans Jackfruit in brine or water seeds removed, drained and squeezed dry with a clean dish cloth
- ¼ cup jerk marinade
- 2 ripe sweet plantains sliced and skin removed
- enough oil for frying
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- ½ red onion sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- tortillas for serving
- fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a large bowl, add the squeezed jackfruit, and jerk marinade in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Spread the seasoned jackfruit over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and transfer to the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
- While the jackfruit is in the oven, heat a large pan of oil (about ½-¾ inches high) over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced plantains and cook until both sides are golden brown, flipping over halfway. Transfer the cooked plantains to a plate lined with paper towels.
- In another large pan, sauté the peppers and onions over medium heat until charred and softened considerably. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Warm tortillas in a pan or according to personal preference. Build tacos with the jackfruit, plantains and sautéed vegetables. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!