If you love a good hearty meal, look no further than this delicious Vegan White Lasagna! It’s packed with vegetables and layered with a homemade white sauce and homemade ricotta cheese. This dish is cheesy, creamy and the perfect meal for any occasion!
Ingredients to Make a Vegan White Lasagna
- No boil lasagna sheets – no boil lasagna sheets are a personal preference for me, however you can also use traditional lasagna sheets that need to be cooked prior to using.
- vegan parmesan shredded cheese – feel free to use whatever vegan cheese you enjoy most!
- mixed frozen vegetables – using frozen vegetables is a huge time saver for this recipe! If you have fresh vegetables, you can certainly substitute for those.
- chopped frozen spinach – more frozen vegetables! Feel free to substitute with fresh spinach, but you’ll need twice as much than called for in the recipe (6 cups).
- Fresh parsley (optional)
- Raw cashews – these will be used to create the base for your vegan white sauce. I find it easiest to soak my cashews the night before I need to use them, however you can boil them on the day of for about 30 minutes.
- Minced garlic – fresh or jarred garlic are perfect!
- Unsweetened almond milk – not a fan of almond milk? You can substitute for an alternative like soy or oat. Just be sure it’s unsweetened and plain (not vanilla or some other flavor).
- Lemon juice
- Onion powder
- Dried rosemary
- Nutritional yeast
- Italian seasoning
- Blanched slivered almonds – this will be used as the base to your homemade vegan ricotta, which can be found at most grocery stores.
How to Make Vegan White Lasagna
The first thing you’ll want to do when making a Vegan White Lasagna is to preheat your oven to 375°, that way it’s ready to go when you’re ready.
In a high-speed blender, combine all of the ingredients needed for your white sauce– raw cashews, garlic, unsweetened almond milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and all seasonings. Blend all of these ingredients together until you’ve reached a smooth, creamy consistency.
Once the white sauce has been prepared, empty it from the blender container and set it aside. Wash out the container and add the ingredients for the almond ricotta cheese to the blender. Blend on high speed until you’ve reached a texture that resembles traditional ricotta cheese. It should still be bumpy, not smooth like the white sauce.
When this is finished blending, set it aside until needed. Now that your white sauce and almond ricotta cheese have been made, you’re ready to start building your Vegan White Lasagna.
In a large rectangular baking dish, spoon about two tablespoons of white sauce over the bottom of the dish to keep the lasagna from sticking to the bottom. Side by side, add your lasagna sheets to cover the bottom, to create the first layer. If necessary, break pieces of a lasagna sheet into pieces to cover the smaller areas.
Next, add one cup of the mixed frozen vegetables, one cup of frozen spinach (season with salt and pepper), white sauce, vegan ricotta cheese and vegan parmesan. Continue layering with these items until you’ve created three layers.
Cover with a piece of foil, then transfer to your preheated oven for 45 minutes to one hour. Once finished baking, remove from the oven and garnish with fresh parsley (optional). After about 20 minutes (give the dish time to set), slice your lasagna and enjoy!
Vegan White Lasagna FAQ
- How long will this dish last? This Vegan White Lasagna will last for up to five days when stored in the refrigerator.
- How do I store this dish? You can store this dish in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- What is vegan lasagna made of? Vegan lasagna can be made out of most anything you want! If you’d like a more traditional lasagna, you can use vegan crumbles in place of meat. This recipe however, uses mixed frozen vegetables and spinach. Alternatively, you can substitute these for whatever vegetables you enjoy most.
- Can this be made gluten-free? Yes, you can swap traditional lasagna noodles for your favorite gluten-free version.
- What else can I add to this lasagna? Looking to make this dish even better? You could add vegan chicken, mushrooms, chopped cauliflower, chopped broccoli or even zucchini! The options are endless!
I know you’ll love this Vegan White Lasagna! It’s creamy, delicious and the definition of comfort food! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
More Baked Pasta Recipes You’ll Love:
Vegan White Lasagna with Vegetables [+VIDEO]
- 1 package no boil lasagna sheets
- 1 package vegan parmesan cheese shreds
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cups frozen chopped spinach
- fresh parsley chopped for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a high speed blender, combine all of the ingredients to create the white sauce and blend until completely smooth.1 cup raw cashews, 3 tsp garlic, 1¼ cups unsweetened almond milk, 1 tsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp onion powder, 4 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp Italian seasoning, black pepper
- Pour the sauce out of the blender container and into a bowl. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the blender container, then add all of the ingredients to create the almond ricotta cheese.2 cup blanched slivered almonds, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tbsp Italian seasoning, 1 tsp dried rosemary, 1 tsp dried oregano, black pepper, 1 tbsp lemon juice, ¾ cups water
- Blend until well combined into a thick paste that resembles traditional ricotta cheese.
- Remove contents from the blender, into a bowl and set aside.
- In a rectangular baking dish, spoon ~2 tbsp of the white sauce across the bottom and spread evenly to keep the pasta sheets from sticking.
- Add a layer of lasagna sheets over the white sauce, then continue layering with 1 cup mixed vegetables, 1 cup chopped spinach (season with salt and pepper to taste), white sauce, almond ricotta and vegan parmesan cheese.1 package no boil lasagna sheets, 1 package vegan parmesan cheese shreds, 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables, 3 cups frozen chopped spinach
- Repeat the layering process until all ingredients have been used allowing for 1 cup of each vegetable per layer.
- Cover the dish baking dish with foil and transfer to preheated oven to bake for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Once finished baking, remove from the oven and garnish with fresh parsley (optional) and grated vegan parmesan then let cool for 20 minutes to set. Enjoy!fresh parsley