Mmm, mmm, mmmm!! Y’all, this vegan spice cake and whipped buttercream icing is SO DAMN GOOD! It’s officially fall and I’ve been doing a lot of baking lately. Last weekend I was in the mood to bake a cake so that’s exactly what I did. Not any cake though, a spice cake. It’s been entirely too long since I’ve had one of these. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I’ve had one. Clearly it was long over-due.
If you’re looking at the ingredient list and you’re overwhelmed, don’t be! Take a closer look and you’ll see that it’s mostly spices. You know, your typical spice cake necessities: cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, allspice, and ground ginger. YUM! Baking this cake was super easy (my goal in life). Also, this was my first time using a vegan egg replacement. Well, a real one. I typically use applesauce or flax eggs to sub for eggs. If you don’t have a vegan egg replacement, I think flax eggs would work as a great substitute. My favorite part about this vegan spice cake is that it can be made in just ONE bowl! Doesn’t that just make life so much easier?
Okay, so I baked this cake, took photos, and of course sampled it. I immediately gave it to my husband because I knew this cake was going to be a problem. Y’all, it’s so good and the icing is smooth and light! I stored one piece in the fridge, wrapped up two pieces for my dad and froze the rest! If I left this cake out I knew it would disappear QUICK!
The whipped buttercream icing is definitely going to be in heavy rotation going forward. I like that it’s not too thick and it’s really simple to make. Also, I like that it’s not too sweet. If you’re trying out this recipe, I would certainly taste the icing as you’re adding in each cup so that the final product is to your liking. I think y’all will really enjoy this cake! I’d gladly eat spice cake year-round, but there’s something about it that feels perfect for fall. Right?!
This cake is moist, perfectly seasoned, and perfectly sweetened. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think of it in the comments below!
Vegan Spice Cake + Whipped Buttercream Icing
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 vegan eggs (I used Bob's Red Mill vegan egg substitute)
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup softened vegan butter
Whipped Buttercream Icing
- 8 oz. vegan softened cream cheese (I used Tofutti brand)
- 1 cup softened vegan butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Begin by preparing the icing by combining the softened cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract into a large bowl. One cup at a time, add in the powdered sugar. Once done mixing, set aside in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- In a measuring cup, combine the cup of almond milk with the 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to make a vegan buttermilk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all other ingredients for the spice cake, adding in the vegan buttermilk (almond milk and acv mixture) last. Mix until all ingredients are combined (I used my standing mixer for this).
- To prepare for an easy removal, cut a piece of parchment paper into a circle to line the bottom of your baking pans. Optional: Lightly oil and flour the sides of the pan as well, or line with more parchment paper.
- Evenly divide the mixture between both pans and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the top of the cake bounces back up after a gentle touch.
- Once finished baking, remove from the oven and set aside to cool until they have reached room temperature.
- Once the cakes have cooled, remove them from the pans and peel the parchment paper from the bottoms. Using the chilled buttercream icing, ice the cake as you wish. Enjoy!