Nothing says summer quite like skewers fresh off the grill! Well, kinda… Last fall we moved into our new home from an apartment and we’re still getting things together. If you’re a homeowner, you know that getting everything “in order” is definitely a process. That being said, we have yet to purchase a grill. It’s definitely on the list but to be honest, inside decor has been more of a priority for me. Until we manage to get a grill, I have two options: cooking these Tofu Vegetable Skewers in my grill pan, or dropping in on my dad to use his.
For this particular meal, I decided to opt for the grill pan. Besides, it’s obnoxiously hot outside and standing in the sun over a hot grill didn’t even seem like a viable option. What I love about making skewers is that they are totally customizable. For this particular recipe I decided to use some basic veggies I had at home already. In my home, onions and peppers are generally items we regularly have on hand, so using them was a no brainer. In addition to those, I added in some green zucchini and cherry tomatoes that I needed to get rid of.
My favorite part of these Tofu Vegetable Skewers is of course, the tofu. In order to give the tofu some flavor, I decided to toss them in a quick marinade. Have a look at the ingredients below to see what I’m talking about. I let them marinate for about 15 minutes, tossing them every few minutes to make sure each side was touched. If you’re in a hurry, you could totally use a store-bought marinade instead. The choice is yours!
Making these Tofu Vegetable Skewers is the perfect way to clean out your fridge and get rid of anything that might be going bad. Do yourself a favor and take advantage of the opportunity! 🙂 You can pair these skewers with whatever you’d like. I decided to keep it simple with rice. You can’t go wrong with rice, right? Hungry yet? Give these skewers a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Tofu Vegetable Skewers
- ½ zucchini cut into ½ inch chunks
- ½ yellow pepper sliced and cut into large pieces
- ½ red pepper sliced and cut into large pieces
- ½ green pepper sliced and cut into large pieces
- ¼-½ red onion sliced and cut into large pieces
- salt+pepper to taste
- 1 package extra firm tofu cut into cubes
- In a dish appropriate for marinating, combine all of the marinade ingredients and whisk together.
- Add the cubed tofu to the dish and gently combine until all pieces are coated. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- While the tofu is marinating, begin preparing your veggies.
- Once the tofu is done marinating, begin putting together your skewers. Be sure to season the veggies with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on the grill over medium low heat, or on the stove in a grill pan over medium heat or until the desired level of char is present.
- Serve with your favorite sides or eat along. Enjoy!