We all love Everything Bagel Seasoning, but have you ever thought to add it overtop your vegan dinner rolls? If not, allow me to introduce you to some of THE BEST vegan homemade bread. These Everything Bagel Seasoning Dinner Rolls are perfectly soft, buttery with a hint of garlic. You will absolutely, positively love these!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Vegan Dinner Rolls:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Organic Cane Sugar
- Rapid Rise Yeast
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Vegan Butter
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
How to Make Vegan Dinner Rolls
Making these Vegan Dinner Rolls is super easy! To start, you’ll want to combine some of your dry ingredients together- one cup of flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Place these items in your mixing bowl and mix them together.
Next, grab all of your wet ingredients and prepare to warm them. This can be done in the microwave or on the stove. My preference is to heat them in the microwave. I’m impatient and it’s just so much faster this way.
I measure out the ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk first, then add water until the measuring cup reaches ¾ and then follow up with the 4 tablespoons of vegan butter. I then transfer it to the microwave for about one minute so that it’s like warm bath water to the touch.
Once the wet mixture is warm, add it to the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and beat it on a medium-low speed until the mixture is smooth. Add another cup plus 3 tablespoons of flour to the mixing bowl and continue mixing until a ball of dough has formed.
At this point the dough should be sticky to the touch and elastic. Flour your hands and a clean space on your countertop and transfer the dough to the floured working area. Use your hands to knead the dough a few times until you have a smooth ball of dough.
Now you’re ready to separate the dough into 12 pieces. I find that the easiest way to do this is to cut the ball into thirds, then keep cutting each piece in half until you’ve reached 12. Take each piece and roll/shape them into balls then transfer them to your baking dish lined with a neutral oil or additional vegan butter.
Using a bit more melted vegan butter, brush a small amount over top of each of your Vegan Dinner Rolls and top with your desired amount of everything bagel seasoning. Cover the rolls with plastic wrap and place them on top of the stove while the oven preheats. Allow them to rise for about one hour or until they have doubled in size.
Once the dough has risen, you’re ready to toss your Vegan Dinner Rolls in the oven! Allow them to bake for about 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Top with a little extra vegan butter (can you ever really have enough?!) and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Vegan Dinner Rolls:
Since I’ve made these Vegan Dinner Rolls a few times, I’ve definitely learned some things along the way:
- Give your dough enough time to rise- depending on certain factors in your home (i.e. temperature) your dough may need a little more time to rise, so be patient. I’ve found in most cases an hour will do.
- Make sure your dough is in the proper setting to rise- room temperature is really important when it comes to giving your dough the correct setting to rise. The space should be around 80° or so. I’ve found that the best place to let my dough rise is on top of the oven as it preheats.
- Cover your dough- as I mentioned, yeast rolls can be a little particular and they do best when covered while rising. I like to use plastic wrap, but you can also use a clean dish towel.
- Add the everything bagel seasoning at the right time- be sure to follow the instructions when it says to add the seasoning before letting the dough rise. The brushed on vegan butter will act as an adhesive and will help the seasoning adhere to the bread while it rises.
- Don’t warm your wet ingredients for too long- Be sure to check the temperature of the warmed ingredients before adding them to the bowl with the yeast. If it’s too hot, it will kill the yeast and the dough won’t rise.
What is Everything Bagel Seasoning?
Everything bagel seasoning is a savory combination of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic, dried onion and sea salt flakes. It’s most commonly found atop plain bagels in stores or at bagel shops. It pairs well with a lot of things, but especially bread. Making it perfect for these Vegan Dinner Rolls!
Where Can I Find Everything Bagel Seasoning?
You can find everything bagel seasoning at lots of grocery stores or online, but I typically purchase it from Trader Joe’s.
How Do I Make the Dinner Rolls Smooth On Top?
You can make the tops of your dinner rolls smooth by pinching the edges underneath, them place them into the baking dish with the smooth side facing up.
Can I Freeze the Dough?
Yes, you can freeze the dough, but I recommend separating the dough into individual balls first, so that once they’re thawed you can pop them into the oven to bake.
The day before you’re ready to make them, remove the frozen vegan dinner rolls from the freezer then transfer them to the fridge to thaw. The next day, bake them in an oven-safe baking dish as instructed in the recipe card.
Alternatively, you can freeze any leftover cooked rolls you have by transferring them to an airtight container and freeze them for up to 3 months.
Can These Rolls Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can make these vegan dinner rolls ahead of time. After the dough has risen, transfer them to the fridge for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to bake them, transfer the vegan dinner rolls to the oven and bake as instructed.
I know you’ll love these Vegan Dinner Rolls! They’re SUPER soft, buttery and crazy delicious. They taste just like the Sister Schubert’s Yeast Rolls I grew up eating, but better (and vegan)!
If you’re making these for a gathering, I’d definitely make two batches because they will definitely disappear fast! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
What to Pair with This Recipe:
- Roasted Vegetable Baked Penne Pasta
- Vegan Cashew Alfredo
- Southern Black Eyed Peas
- Crispy Baked Breaded Tofu
- Easy Vegan Collard Greens
Tools You Might Need:
Easy Vegan Dinner Rolls [+VIDEO]
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup of flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- Combine the water, almond milk and melted butter in a small bowl to warm in the microwave (about 1 minute) or over the stove in a pan (110° – 120°).
- Add the wet ingredients to the mixing bowl along with the dry ingredients and mix on a medium-low speed until the batter is mostly smooth.
- Add 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons of flour to the mixture and continue mixing on a medium-low speed until well combined. The batter will be elastic and sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a clean, floured counter space and knead until the ball of dough is smooth and round.
- Divide the dough into 12 even pieces and shape into a ball. Transfer each piece into a greased baking dish.
- Brush the top of each roll with a small amount of melted vegan butter and sprinkle with desired amount of everything bagel seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and place on the preheating stove or other warm area of the home to rise for one hour or until the rolls have doubled in size.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown.
- Once finished baking, top with additional vegan butter and enjoy!