Confession: I’ve never baked bread before. At least not by myself. Growing up, I would help my grandma make it occasionally. I’ve also made cinnamon rolls before which might be a tiny bit related. Anywho, I’ve been wanting to make some Dinner Rolls for a while and Thanksgiving seemed to be the perfect opportunity. Before going vegan, I would purchase the sister schubert yeast rolls, toss them in the oven and call it a day. Unfortunately they have animal products in them (eggs I think?) so they quickly became a thing of the past.
Would you believe there are only 7 ingredients to make these Dinner Rolls?! The Minimalist Baker had me sold right away after seeing this! These dinner rolls came together so quick! I seriously couldn’t believe how easy it was. Will I be making these again? ABSOLUTELY! These rolls are BEYOND perfect! Don’t be alarmed by the 60 minute prep time. The rolls have to rise for 30-45 minutes, so don’t sweat it!
Have you tried these? If so, let me know what you think in the comments below!
Vegan Dinner Rolls
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl (or small saucepan over medium heat), microwave the water, almond milk and butter until warm - about 110 - 120 degrees (~55 seconds). It should be the temperature of bath water. If it’s too hot, it can kill the yeast.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup more flour and beat for another 2 minutes. Then, add only enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Then let rest 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces, shape into balls, and place in a greased 8x8 dish or 8-inch round pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size - about 30-45 minutes
- Brush the tops with additional melted vegan butter (optional)
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until fluffy and light golden brownENJOY!