Lately I’ve been searching for a good Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burger recipe. I needed for it to be simple. No funky ingredients, no strange steps and I needed to be able to put it together fairly quickly! Welp…this doesn’t happen often, but Pinterest let me down! I went through at least a dozen Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burger recipes and none of them met my requirements. So what did I do? I made one up! I knew what I wanted to incorporate so I just made it happen by taking bits and pieces from recipes online in order to make it my own and used my black bean burger recipe as a reference.
This Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burger recipe came out really well! I love being able to simply toss everything in a bowl, combine everything, cook it and enjoy a super tasty meal. The guac really set it off and gave me that twist I was looking for! Warning! The burger is a little messy, but goooood. So give them a shot and tell me what you think!
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burger Post Update:
Over a year has passed and this is still one of my favorite veggie burgers to make!
I recently decided to revise this recipe to make it easier and of course, tastier. These sweet potato and black bean burgers can be cooked on the stove, or tossed in the air fryer! I’d recommend using the air fryer if you’re interested in creating a crispy outer layer. I typically cook it on 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, rotating it halfway through. This is my new favorite way to cook them for sure! 🙂
These burgers can easily be paired with your favorite sides like fries or even popcorn. If you really want to expand on the sweet potato theme, try them with air fried sweet potato fries!
Try this recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Hungry for more? Follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burger
- 1 can Corn drained
- 1 can Black beans drained, not rinsed
- 1 cup Cooked sweet potatoes for me this was 4 small ones
- 3/4 Red onion diced
- 2 Jalapenos diced- remove the seeds for less heat
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 8-10 drops Liquid smoke
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal+5 tbsp water)
- Cook sweet potatoes. I tossed mine in the microwave.
- Once they are cooked, add them to a large bowl along with 1 cup of bread crumbs, 1 can of black beans and 1 can of corn. Mix/mash well. There should still be a few visibly whole black beans
- Next, add your diced jalapeno peppers and red onion along with your seasonings and flax eggs. Mix well.
- On medium heat, add a few drops of olive oil to coat the bottom of a medium sized pan and pat together a good sized patty to make your burger. Cook until browned on both sides (about 3-5 minutes).
- While your burger is cooking, mash two avocados, diced tomato, jalapenos and red onion (you can add as little or as much of these items as you'd like). Also sprinkle in some salt and pepper to taste.This step is totally optional, but I think it was an excellent addition to the burger.
- Pair with your favorite fries and other toppings (I added mayo and tomato) and enjoy!
This looks sooo good. Is this recipe for just make 1 burger?
Hey Shenell! This recipe should yield 4-6 burgers depending on how big you like them!