Before making the switch to a plant-based diet, I really enjoyed wings! They were such an easy, fun food to pair with my forever love: french fries. One of my favorite flavors to eat was always buffalo. A little spicy, but packed with a simple and delicious flavor. These days, I’m still loving all things buffalo, but just in a different way. Ever heard of tempeh? It’s sort of like tofu in the sense you start with a clean slate. You can customize it to take on whatever flavor you’d like. The perfect substitute for chicken in making these Buffalo Tempeh Wings.
I can’t remember the first time I had tempeh, but one of my favorite times was during a trip to New York. The restaurant I visited had the most amazing tempeh wings! I’ll never forget how tasty they were. I was with a table full of carnivores and everyone enjoyed them. Buffalo will always be my go-to, but I also ordered a BBQ version at the restaurant. I can definitely see me testing out more variations at home in the near future!
One of my favorite parts about this recipe is that the ingredients are so simple. I didn’t have to purchase much at Harris Teeter because I already had many of the items at home (you probably do too!). It’s important to note that prices may vary from store to store, but I figured this would be helpful in helping you gauge how much a meal like this might cost.
- Organic Tempeh- $2.49
- Harris Teeter Fresh Organic Parsley- $1.50
- Plain Breadcrumbs- $1.29
- TOTAL: $5.28
This recipe makes eight Buffalo Tempeh Wings, which is two servings. Making this dish is only $2.64 per serving! Not bad, right?! If you ordered these at a restaurant they would cost at least $8-$10. I love that these are not only tasty, but affordable! It’s so nice to be able to make cool foods like these in the comfort of your own home.
Making these Buffalo Tempeh Wings
Making these Buffalo Tempeh Wings is unbelievably easy. In a dish appropriate for dipping, you’ll want to mix together the ingredients for “dish 1”. We certainly don’t want bland tempeh wings, so it’s important to make sure that we’re not leaving the buffalo sauce to do all the heavy lifting in the flavor department. Adding spices to your flour mixture will help give the tempeh a good base flavor that’s sure to make these irresistible. Especially because the tempeh itself doesn’t have much flavor.
“Dish 2” is where you’ll place your breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs will create a crispy layer around the outside of the tempeh. After dipping each piece in the first bowl, you’ll transfer it to the breadcrumbs, then to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. This part can get a little messy, so be prepared for messy fingers! Alternatively, you could use a fork to transfer each piece from dish to dish. But isn’t it fun to get a little down and dirty every now and then?!
While the Buffalo Tempeh Wings are baking, I usually start preparing my vegan ranch and the buffalo sauce mixture. This way, I’m making the best use of my time in the kitchen. Efficient multi-tasking! Once the first round of baking is done, you’ll want to remove the tempeh from the oven, but keep it on because they’re going right back in. With a fork (because they’ll be hot), dip each piece in the buffalo sauce mixture. Be sure to cover all sides, then place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
Once they’re done, I like to serve them with celery to nibble on and vegan ranch for dipping. It’s so easy to put together and they make for the perfect appetizer. Especially for that big football game that happens every year in February. 🙂 I know you’ll love this recipe! Give it a try and be sure to share your thoughts in the comments below!
This post was sponsored by the amazing people over at Harris Teeter! Thank you for supporting the brands that support me!
Hungry for more? Follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!
Buffalo Tempeh Wings
- 1 package organic tempeh cut into 8 pieces
- Sliced celery (for serving) optional
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¾ cup plain breadcrumbs
Buffalo Sauce Mixture
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
Vegan Ranch (optional)
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Harris Teeter Organic Fresh Parsley chopped into small pieces
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In a medium-sized flat dish, mix all of the ingredients together for dish one.
- In another medium-sized flat dish, add the plain breadcrumbs.
- Begin by dipping each piece of tempeh into dish one, then transfer to dish two, coating with the breadcrumbs. Place the breaded pieces of tempeh on a pan lined with parchment paper.
- Once all pieces have been dipped, transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the tempeh is baking, mix together the buffalo sauce and vegan butter. Set aside.
- In a separate dish, mix together the vegan ranch ingredients and set aside.
- Once the tempeh is finished baking, dip each piece in the buffalo sauce mixture, transfer them back to the baking pan and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While the tempeh is baking, mix together the ingredients for the vegan ranch.
- Once the tempeh is finished, remove from the oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes. Serve with vegan ranch and sliced celery (optional). Enjoy!
Super easy and delicious! Definitely will make again!