If you’re looking to win over your carnivore friends with a good vegan meal, try these Black Bean & Sweet Potato Enchiladas! They’re so good and filling, your friends won’t even realize there wasn’t any meat inside until they’re scraping up the last bite. I’ve never made enchiladas before, but I don’t think I could have chosen a better recipe to try it out on. These Black Bean & Sweet Potato Enchiladas are so easy to put together and I’d like to imagine that it will freeze well (I’ll be testing this out). Black beans are my absolute favorite. In combination with sweet potatoes, it’s an epic combination!
If you’re going to make these Black Bean & Sweet Potato Enchiladas, be sure to make sure that your sweet potatoes are cooked well. I wish I would have let mine cook for maybe 5 more minutes simply because they weren’t as soft as I would have liked. This was the only part I messed up on, but it didn’t stop me and my husband from completely demolishing each of our enchiladas.
Pinterest is such a lifesaver! I found the original recipe here. I also decided to make the enchilada sauce using this recipe. This sauce was amaaaaazing. It truly made the dish! If you have a few extra minutes to put the sauce together instead of buying store bought, it’s a MUST!
Hungry for more? Follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas
- 1 cup Brown rice (uncooked)
- 3 tbsp Olive oil (separated)
- 1 cup Sweet Bell Peppers
- 2 cups Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Packet taco seasoning
- 1 Can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic (optional)
- 1 3/4 cup Salsa separated (I used mild)
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1/4 cup Chopped Cilantro (packed and stems removed)
- 1 cup Red Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cups Shredded "cheese" (separated)
- 12 Tortillas (white or wheat)
- Begin by cooking rice according to the package instructions
- While the rice is cooking, peel and chop two cups of sweet potatoes. In a large skillet add 2 tbsp of olive oil along with your sweet potatoes and cook over medium heat. Cook until tender (about 8-10 minutes)
- Now add in the sweet peppers (and onions if you want to include them). Saute for another 3-4 minutes
- Add in the black beans and minced garlic. Stir and cook for a few more minutes
- Once done cooking, transfer your sweet potato and veggie mix to a bowl and mix in your cooked rice along with 1 cup of salsa.
- Add in your taco seasoning, cilantro and lime juice. Mix well. Note: I used my own blend- equal parts (1 Tbsp each): Black pepper, chili powder, salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin.
- Grab the dish you would like to use and grease it well. Smooth the bottom of the pan with 3/4 cup of salsa. Scoop about 1/2 cup of the mix onto each tortilla
- Fold each end and roll them up. Place each one with the seam face-down in your dish and pour enchilada sauce over each tortilla. If you'd like, you can add shredded cheese now or after they're finished cooking in the oven. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Add your favorite toppings (more cilantro, cheese or avocado) and enjoy!