I’ve definitely been on a lentil kick lately! I’m constantly trying to find new ways to use them and this Lentil Taco Salad is definitely on my list of favorites! I’ve always loved tacos, so why not enjoy them in a bowl? This works out perfectly for me because I can fit way more in a bowl than I can in a tortilla 🙂
My favorite part about this Lentil Taco Salad is that it’s so easy to make AND customize! The first time I made this bowl, I realized after eating it that I forgot to add corn. I won’t lie, I didn’t miss it until I realized it wasn’t there. I was so wrapped up in the simplicity and taste of everything, I wasn’t even concerned with the corn.
However, when I did add in the corn, it was a match made in heaven. It added in a nice sweetness and complimented all of the other additions in the bowl. I ate this bowl everyday (with no complaints) for three (maybe four) days straight.
Folks, you won’t believe how easy this Lentil Taco Salad is to put together. Since I keep a container of this tasty taco seasoning blend on hand, I had already completed the hardest part. I had some lentils that I had been soaking since leaving for work that morning so they were ready to go! To make this even easier, you could used canned lentils too! I cooked the lentils in the taco seasoning blend for a few minutes while I prepped all of the other additions to the bowl. Easy peasy!
By now you HAVE to be ready to create your own! Trust me, this Lentil Taco Salad will become your new BFF on those night where you want a healthy and satisfying meal with minimal effort. Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Lentil Taco Salad
- 1 cup dry brown lentils (soaked) can also sub for 2 cans of lentils
- 1.5 tbsp taco seasoning blend
- 1/2 ripe avocado sliced
- 1/4 cup corn chip strips
- 1/3 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup corn
- 3-4 handfuls of chopped romaine lettuce
- diced red onions to taste
- pickled or fresh jalapenos to taste
- salsa to taste
- Begin by adding the soaked or canned lentils to a medium sized non-stick pan along with a few drops of oil or water over medium-low heat. Add in a generous amount of the taco seasoning blend and mix well.
- While the lentils are cooking, begin prepping the remaining components of the taco salad (slicing tomatoes, slicing avocados, dicing red onions…etc) while stirring the lentils intermittently.
- Begin building the lentil taco salad by placing a bed of lettuce on the bottom of the bowl, then add in all other toppings. Enjoy!