Y’all, I have been dreaming of creating this recipe for a loooooong time. It’s way past due.
I’ve always thought that cranberries and apples made for a great combination, but I knew they’d be amazing all rolled up together into a delicious cinnamon roll. Whenever I get these ideas for creations I’d like to make, I typically just add them to the growing list on my notes app. Two weeks ago I finally had the chance to check this one off! As you may have been able to tell from the content on my blog, I enjoy making and sharing desserts. This stuff is actually FUN to me! But not only is it fun, I think it helps to give your place a “homey” feel, ya know? There’s nothing like walking into someone’s house with the inviting scent of fresh baked goods.
These cranberry+apple cinnamon rolls are likely going to be my new favorite treat. The ingredients are pretty standard (you may even already have most, if not all of them) and they don’t require a lot of skill in order to pull them off. So even the novice bakers out there can make these! I’m super excited to continue testing these out in different combinations. Are there others that you would be interested in trying? I’m all ears! 🙂
The night I made these, it was so hard to just eat one. All of the spices and flavors from the cranberries and apples were having a party in my mouth and I didn’t want it to end! The next day I couldn’t wait to get home from work, eat dinner and have dessert. I reheated them for about 15-20 seconds and they reverted back to their soft ooey gooey state. SO GOOD! These would be perfect to take to a dinner party or office gathering. I guarantee anyone who knows good desserts will love these cranberry+apple cinnamon rolls.
Ready to test them out for yourself? Give them a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Cranberry+Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 shake of all spice
- Begin by mixing the flax egg together and set aside.
- In a small container combine the vegan butter and almond milk together and heat for about 1 minute, stirring halfway through. At the conclusion of this process, the liquid should feel like warm bath water. Not piping hot (if too hot it could kill the yeast)!
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Next add in the almond milk+butter combination along with the flax egg and water. Mix together until sticky.
- Place the dough on a floured work space in order to knead for a bit until you’ve got a smooth ball of dough.
- Place the ball of dough in a bowl covered with a paper towel or clean dish towel and let sit for about an hour until it’s doubled in size.
- Combine all filling ingredients except the melted butter and set aside.
Assemble the Rolls
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Transfer the dough from the bowl back to the floured work space. Roll the dough out into a rectangle until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. Scatter the dried cranberries all over the dough then press them in gently using a rolling pin. Brush the dough with the melted butter.
- Evenly spread the filling mixture all over the dough.
- Starting with the end closest to you, roll the dough as tightly as you can until you have the dough in a log shape. Cut them into pieces that are 1.5-2 inches thick. Note- when I tried to roll it all together, it wasn’t as tight as I wanted, so after cutting them I re-rolled them.
- Place each roll in a lightly greased baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, whisk together the ingredients for the frosting and set aside until rolls are done.
- Once the rolls have finished, let them cool for about 10 minutes then top the rolls with the frosting. Serve immediately and enjoy!