It’s no secret that I enjoy shopping at Trader Joe’s. It’s literally one of my favorite places to be and the folks that work there are ALWAYS so dern friendly and helpful. Any who, I was strolling up and down the aisles as I normally do and I discovered that they are now selling jackfruit! Yep! That’s right! Are you as pleasantly surprised as I am? If not, you should be! It’s a wonderful meat substitute and tastes great! PERFECT for Jackfruit BBQ!
I had never seen it in stores before until now, so I knew I had to snag a few cans and try it out. The next day I got on Pinterest and immediately began searching for jackfruit BBQ recipes. I also needed coleslaw to go on top for an authentic taste, so I began searching for one that could easily be “veganized”. Welp, here’s what I found: BBQ Jackfruit | Coleslaw
Would I make this dish again? ABSOLUTELY! In fact, I’m currently trying to think of a reason to make it again in the very near future! The coleslaw was delicious by itself and was so super simple to make! If you invite me to a cookout this summer, please be advised that this is what I’ll be bringing!
If you’ve tried Jackfruit BBQ, tell me what you think! In the meantime, check out the pictures below for the deets!
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic Minced
- 2 20 oz Cans of Jackfruit in Brine or water
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 pinch Red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Broth
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 4 tsp White vinegar
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp Dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 bags shredded coleslaw mix
- Drain your jackfruit and place in large bowl along with all seasonings (brown sugar, cumin and paprika)
- Mix together so that the jackfruit is well coated
- Chop onion, then sauté until translucent
- Add in the garlic and continue to sauté for about 2 minutes
- Add in the seasoned jackfruit and cook for about 3 minutes
- Add in the BBQ sauce of your choice and mix well
- Add the vegetable broth and allow it to cook for about 20 minutes or so
- After 20 minutes has passed, begin pulling apart the jackfruit using two forks
- Add in red pepper flakes (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together (excluding the coleslaw) until smooth
- Add in the veggie mix and stir until evenly coated
- Plate and enjoy!