One thing I find myself eating less of these days as a vegan is sandwiches and I must admit, I miss them! Sure, you can typically get your hands on a veggie sandwich, but I miss having a “meaty” component. My all time favorite vegan sandwich to date is this chickpea tuna sandwich, but this T.L.T. (tempeh, lettuce, and tomato) is a close second!
Want to know something funny? As a carnivore I never ate traditional B.L.T.s because I didn’t like bacon! So it’s hilarious that I’ve veganized such a traditional and popular American favorite, without even having liked the original version. It really is amazing what you can come up with when you enter the plant-based world. Whoever came up with using tempeh as a substitute for bacon is a genius. I love that you can take something as simple as tempeh and make it smokey and slightly crispy. It’s delish!
I love that this sandwich is so easy to make! The ingredients are pretty simple and you can add whatever you’d like to it to help spice it up a bit! For instance, I decided to add avocado to mine, a not so typical addition to this kind of sandwich. But that’s the beauty of preparing your own food, right? You can add or remove anything you want!
So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
- 4 oz of tempeh (I used a half package from Trader Joe's)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus more for frying
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp red hot sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- salt+pepper to taste
- 1/2 tomato sliced
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- vegan mayo to taste
- 4-5 pieces of lettuce
- 4 slices of bread
- Mix all of the tempeh ingredients together in a marinating dish
- Slice your tempeh as thin or as thick as you would like and marinate on each side for 1-2 minutes.
- In a heated oiled pan, place your tempeh in a single layer until browned, then flip and continue to cook until the remaining side is browned as well. Remove from heat once done and set aside.
- Begin putting together your sandwich with the remaining ingredients and desired amount of "bacon." Enjoy!