On Instagram I follow a ton of super inspiring vegan chefs. One that I recently discovered was Sweet Potato Soul. Not only are her recipes tasty, she’s also someone I can identify with, being a black vegan. Let’s face it, you don’t really see too many of them at her level. Anywho, one day I decided to visit her site so I could finally make something of hers. Of course, I’m looking for something tasty and quick, with reasonable ingredients and this amazing sweet potato pancake recipe fit the bill!
These Sweet Potato Pancakes are SO GOOD! You may remember another pancake recipe that I raved about not too long ago (Blueberry Muffin Pancakes). I couldn’t even begin to try and figure out which ones I like more. They are both SO good and I’m a sucker for pancakes as it is, so I’ve stopped trying to figure it out. I had to make a few substitutions (noted below) and even with that, these Sweet Potato Pancakes were still soooo good! Give them a shot and tell me what you think!
Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 2 tbsp Ground flax+4 tbsp water I subbed with 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cup Whole spelt flour I subbed with all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg freshly ground
- 1 1/2 cup Soy milk or other non-dairy milk- I used almond
- 1 tsp Apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Mashed sweet potato + 2 tbsp
- 2 tbsp Coconut, canola, or grapeseed oil + more for frying or use Earth Balance to fry
- In one bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices. In another bowl add the applesauce, milk, vinegar, vanilla, sweet potato, and oil. Whisk well
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined
- Preheat a skillet to medium heat and melt a bit of oil. I used a 1/3 measuring cup to scoop the mixture onto the pan. Once the surface is bubbled, flip
- Repeat until batter is gone
- Top with your favorite ingredients (I used banana, nutmeg and coconut whip) and enjoy!