I know I’ve said this a million times, but breakfast food is my faaaaaavorite kind of food! I could eat it for each meal of the day! Any chance I get to eat pancakes for dinner, I take it! Any who, as a plant-based eater, breakfast food has been a challenge for me. Certainly one that I welcome, but a challenge nonetheless. Gone were the days where I could whip up pancakes out of a box in 5 minutes. Gone were the days of quick scrambled eggs. Though I have found many alternatives (very tasty ones), it took some adjusting. Thank God for this sweet potato hash!
During a visit to Charlotte, NC I had a sweet potato hash that I thought was pretty tasty. I knew that this was something I could recreate at home and make them taste even better with a few adjustments! What I love most about this meal is that it’s so super filling and hearty. Your stomach won’t be rumbling an hour later for sure 🙂 I’ve also started trying to incorporate more “whole food” meals into my diet and this fits the bill! Sweet potatoes (and spinach) have such great nutritional value, so this isn’t a meal you have to worry about regretting later. I’ve definitely been on a sweet potato kick lately…
Go ahead and give this a try! I know you’ll enjoy it and be sure to let me know what you think in the comments below!
Sweet Potato Hash
- 1-2 tbsp oil of choice to sauté (I used olive oil)
- 1 large peeled sweet potato ~3 cups cubed into ½inch pieces
- ¼-⅓ red onion sliced (or diced if preferred)
- 2-3 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp thyme
- salt + pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan with oil of choice over medium low heat.
- Once heated, add potatoes to the pan over medium-low heat covered. Sprinkle with a little salt to taste.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until soft. Stir frequently to avoid sticking.
- Once the potatoes are soft, add the onions to the pan and sauté.
- Once the onions are almost done cooking, add the spinach and mix in and all seasonings. Stir frequently. Cook until spinach is just wilted.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!