One of my favorite creations ever is pasta! I love how versatile it is and all of the many combinations you can create with it. The options are endless! This penne vodka pasta was inspired by an entry from the Veganomicon cookbook my husband bought for me a while back as a gift. As a blogger, I’m always so wrapped up in creating and testing my own recipes, I often don’t make time for cookbook creations!
This penne vodka pasta was a new vegan experience for me. Of course I’d had it before going vegan and remembered enjoying it, but I was excited to make new memories with it by swapping out a few of the non-vegan ingredients with vegan-friendly replacements. This recipe didn’t disappoint! I didn’t follow the directions/ingredients exactly, but instead used it as a reference.
I kept it simple with this dish and only topped it with vegan parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes, but you could add veggies or a vegan meat to this for a more well-rounded meal. Next time I make this, I’m thinking of adding both! I could see broccoli and Gardein grilled chicken strips going well with this! If you plan on trying this, I’m curious to know what you would add to it! Or would you enjoy it as is? Let me know in the comments below!
Penne Vodka Pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 28oz can crushed tomatoes with basil (plain should work fine too)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 pound penne pasta
- salt+pepper to taste
- In a boiling pot of water, begin cooking the pasta.
- While the pasta is boiling, in a sauce pan add the oil, minced garlic and crushed red pepper and sauté until fragrant.
- Next, add the crushed tomatoes, vodka, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until mostly smooth (may be a little grainy). The pasta should be done by now, so drain the water and set aside.
- Once done blending the sauce, mix in the pasta and enjoy!