I’m not sure if you’ve noticed by now, but I LOVE Trader Joe’s! It is literally my favorite place to shop and I look forward to going every weekend! Want to know the best part? They’re always giving out free samples! One day they were offering samples of their chili and cornbread dish and since it had meat in it, I asked my husband to do the testing. Since he liked it, I knew that I could come up with a vegan version so that’s exactly what I did! This is a MUST try recipe! It is SO super easy and can be ready in about an hour or less.
One Dish Chili+ Cornbread
- 2 cans Vegetarian chili from Trader Joe's
- Vegan Cheese optional
- Cayenne Pepper to taste, optional
- 3/4 cup Plant based milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/3 cup Applesauce (this substitutes the egg)
- 1 box Trader Joe's Cornbread Mix
- 1/2 cup Oil (I used canola oil)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add the chili out of the can to the baking dish of your choice and smooth so that it is one flat layer
- Add in cayenne pepper and vegan cheese to taste
- Mix all ingredients for the cornbread together until just combined. Careful not to over mix
- Once mixed, add it to the baking pan along with the chili
- Cooking time will vary depending on the dish you choose to place it in. Because this dish is fairly small, I usually let mine cook at 350 for 45 minutes, then at 300 degrees for another 20 minutes so that the cornbread is fully cooked throughout, but won't be burnt. Note- You can tell that it's done if it bounces back up after being pressed lightly
- Plate and enjoy!