Have you ever tried the meatless meatballs from Trader Joe’s? If you haven’t, you definitely should! I found these particularly helpful when I was first transitioning into a plant based diet. In fact, my husband (carnivore) requests them regularly. Recently I’ve been working towards being more mindful of the ingredients in the foods I buy. Now don’t get me wrong, by no means does this mean that I’m completely eliminating processed foods (because, Gardein…duh). Just trying to make an effort to make changes where I can. Because of this, I was encouraged to try making my own Italian Meatless Meatballs and I must say, I’m glad I did!
These meatballs are so tasty and full of flavor! You won’t believe how easy they are to make! If you take a peek at the recipe below, you’ll notice that they include lentils and mushrooms; two items that I’m not accustomed to using. Lentils are still somewhat of a new food for me, but I’m working to find more ways to incorporate them into my meals. Mushrooms on the other hand, I typically just don’t care for. They’re one of those foods that just doing agree with my pallet in most cases. I know people that go crazy over mushrooms, and I could never understand why (kinda like bacon for me)! Any who, in this case, they’re the perfect combination. These Italian Meatless Meatballs are savory, well-seasoned, with delightfully crisp edges.
What are you waiting for? Give them a try and let me know what you think of them in the comments below!
Italian Meatless Meatballs
- 1 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 yellow onion sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 can lentils drained
- 1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil for frying
- In a small pan, sauté the minced garlic, sliced onion and mushrooms until soft and onions are semi translucent
- While the veggies are cooking, begin adding the remaining ingredients (except the olive oil) to a food processor
- When the veggies are done cooking, add them to the food processor and begin mixing until all ingredients are well combined
- In a medium/large pan, add 2-3 tablespoons of oil and allow it to heat on a medium-low setting. Using a spoon or a cookie scooper, begin scooping out the meatball mixture and forming balls of your desired size, then add them to the pan
- Allow the meatballs to cook on all sides, rotating frequently until browned. Once they are done cooking, transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil
- Enjoy alone as an appetizer, or atop a bowl of spaghetti. Enjoy!