I can’t believe Christmas is right around the corner! I don’t know about you, but I’m just not ready. In my attempt to get into the Christmas spirit, I decided to try my hand at making sugar cookies. I had seen this recipe on Pinterest and knew I had to try them! I’ve made sugar cookies (and many others) in the past, but I’ve never decorated them before, so I was a little nervous about how they would turn out. Well, they’re not the prettiest, but they certainly taste good! Props to all of the cookie decorators out there! It’s definitely an art!
Holiday Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups All purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Ground Chia or Ground Flax I subbed for 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 3 tbsp Water
- 3/4 cup Vegan butter
- 3/4 cup White sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Almond extract
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- 2-4 tsp Non-dairy milk or water
- A few drops of food coloring optional
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.In a smaller bowl, mix together the flax or chia seeds and water and set aside to let thicken.**Note- I skipped this part because I subbed with 1/3 cup of applesauce
- In another bowl, beat the vegan butter and sugar until creamy. Then mix in the flax/chia (or applesauce)Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until dough is formed.
- Put the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it out to about 1/4 inch thick. Now pop it onto a baking tray and chill the rolled dough in the freezer for 15 minutes or in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, cut your cookie shapes and lay them on the parchment lined cookie sheet. Re-roll remaining dough until it’s all used up, chilling in between if needed. Bake 8 - 11 minutes.
- To make the icing, add the powdered sugar, 2 tsp of non dairy milk or water, and food coloring.
- Once the cookies have completely cooled, decorate as you wish and enjoy!