Who doesn’t love eggplant parmesan?! The Minimalist Baker has done it again! This recipe is perfectly crispy and doesn’t take long to put together at all. Not to mention, the ingredients are common and pretty inexpensive so you don’t have to worry about breaking the bank for this tasty Eggplant Parmesan meal.
Did I mention how crispy this eggplant was? The crispiness deserves more attention! I think that the combination of pan frying and the oven was really helpful in contributing to the overall flavor and was definitely something I probably would not have done in the past. In addition, if you’re thinking about skipping the “eggplant drying” part, I urge you not to! Eggplant naturally retains water and if extracted during the cooking process, it could lead to a not so crispy finish. So again, follow the instructions and avoid the urge to skip steps! 🙂 So go ahead, try this Eggplant Parmesan recipe for yourself!
- 1 Medium eggplant as narrow as possible
- 1/4 cup Unbleached all-purpose flour (or other flour of choice)
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp Vegan parmesan + more for serving (or sub 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast)
- 1 tsp Dried oregano or 2 tsp fresh
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened plain almond milk or other neutral milk
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 8 oz. Pasta such as linguini, but any kind will do
- 2 cups Marinara sauce
- Slice the eggplant in 1/2 inch thick pieces, then sprinkle a generous amount with sea salt on both sides. Place in a colander in the sink and let sit.
- After 15 minutes or so remove, rinse and arrange on a clean absorbent kitchen towel. If towel is large enough you can fold over the other half of the towel to cover, or cover with a new towel.
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line baking sheet with foil. If you're making pasta, now would be a good time to get it started.
- Prepare your dipping stations:1. Flour2. Almond milk + cornstarch3. Bread crumbs+ sea salt+ oregano + vegan parmesanDip eggplant in each bowl, in this order and arrange on baking sheet.
- Bake eggplant in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Bring large skillet to medium heat and add 2 tbsp of olive oil once hot. Pull 3-4 eggplant rounds out of the oven at a time and sauté to give them extra crisp and texture. Cook for ~2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place back in the oven and prepare marinara. You can microwave or prepare on the stove.Don't forget your pasta! It should be about done by now.
- Once the eggplant is done cooking, plate and enjoy!